How Enamel Erosion Can Affect Your Tooth
Are you suffering from dental problems? Do you eat the right kind of foods and take healthy drinks? Eating nutritious foods and taking healthy beverages is good for your dental and overall health condition. If you take foods with high content acids, it will damage your enamel and expose dentin that lies under it. Today, dental problems like erosion of enamel is increasing therefore, it is recommended to take care of your oral hygiene and follow the instructions of your dentist. There are many reputed dental clinics in and around London that provide you with effective oral care and treatment.
Read on to know more about the problem, its types, symptoms of damaged enamel and others.
The enamel of the teeth is decayed by acids. There are two types of enamel erosion.
- Intrinsic erosion – Occurs because of formation of acids due to medical problems like bulimia, acid reflux, anorexia and many others.
- Extrinsic erosion – Dietary acids present in sugar, fruit drinks, diet sodas, carbonated drinks and others.
Symptoms of damaged enamel
You will experience several changes when your teeth enamel starts decaying.
- Sensitivity – You may feel sensitivity of teeth while your mouth comes into contact with hot or cold food or drinks.
- Discoloration – As the enamel erodes and more dentin is exposed, you will experience discolored or yellow teeth.
- Cracks and chips – The edges of teeth becomes irregular and rough due to erosion of enamel.
- Shiny spots – You may notice shiny spots on your teeth. It indicates that your teeth is suffering from demineralisation.
If you notice such problems in your mouth, visit your dental expert as soon as possible for an oral check-up. You may visit an experienced dentist in Battersea to address your oral problems.
Questions to ask your dentist
Once you get an appointment with your dental expert, ask him about the necessary suggestions to improve your dental hygiene.
Consider the following points of discussion with your dentist:
- How long are you suffering from enamel erosion?
- Frequency of eating foods and taking drinks that contain acid.
- Talk to a well-trained nutritionist for useful advice regarding diets to reduce foods and drinks that contain acids.
- Tell him if you are suffering from gastric reflux, acidity or eating problems?
- Consult a cosmetic dentist if you need to replace a tooth with dental restorations.
How to prevent enamel erosion teeth?
People from all age groups can suffer from tooth decay that makes dentin exposed, causes sensitivity of tooth. You should not eat foods and take beverages in excess that contain acids as they cause decay of the teeth. Brush your teeth with desensitising toothpaste to avoid irritation on teeth. Sometimes, dentists use sealants or bonding agents to reduce the decay. A qualified dentist providing enamel erosion treatment in Battersea, recommends to use toothpaste that contains fluoride to resist the acid dissolution besides demineralising your teeth.
You have obtained lots of information to improve your oral and overall well-being. It is advised to undergo regular oral check-ups by an experienced dentist and keep your teeth and gums healthier.